Re: Fuel Pressure Sender for EIS

Subject: Re: Fuel Pressure Sender for EIS
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:11:59
The fuel pressure sensor provided by GRT for the EIS is  VDO part no. 360
043, 30psi max; it requires a 200 ohm resistor in series to yield a 10psi
range with 0.1psi resolution.  It connects via an extra Tee fitting in the
line to the carb. I used an aluminum bracket bolted to the firewall plus a
stainless hose clamp to secure the sensor to it (to minimize vibration
problems, don't mount the sensor on the engine).

I posed the question about the water temperature sensor to the group a couple
weeks ago.  The consensus was that the sensor should be in the line from the
radiator to the water pump but that this measurement was more or less
redundant given the CHT readings. In this location, the sensor measures the
efficiency of the cooling system; it may allow determining whether coolant is
present based on the difference between the CHT and the coolant temp.  I made
a fitting to hold the sensor from a 3 inch section of  1 inch dia stainless
tube by drilling a hole to allow the sensor through, then welding a 10mm
stainless nut over this hole.  The radiator return hose will be cut to allow
insertion of this fitting.  Use 10mm stainless bolts to replace the sensors
removed from the engine.

My flight adviser would prefer a coolant pressure sensor instead of the
coolant temperature sensor to give an early warning of coolant loss.  In
addition, he suggested a manifold pressure reading even though I will use a
fixed pitch prop - he says it facilitates evaluating engine power setting,
especially while determining correct prop pitch. I bought the manifold
pressure sensor for the EIS from GRT - it must be mounted on the cabin side
of the firewall since it's temperature sensitive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,  John   A044