Sex Appeal

Subject: Sex Appeal
From: MARK CLARK <CLAM@kidd.Co.Za>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:03:06

--=_1B4CDF32.6D0C6692

I am nearing the end of the fuselage assembly and am considering
engine options.
At this stage the Rotax 912 ULS is my engine of choice. As I already
have the Classic cowlings I would like to use these if possible. I also
prefer the looks of these and have been told they have more sex
appeal. Also because I am building a Classic I do not want to hybridise it
with XS components.
I have the following questions.
What is the advantage of moving the engine forward? I understand this
was done to accommodate the turbo on the 914, and for increased pilot
leg-room in the XS. As nether these are germane in my case should the
engine not be kept as near to the CG as possible.
Is the handling improved by moving the engine forward?
I was considering the following mods to the existing cowling to reduce
cooling drag.
Close up the existing air intake holes to smaller circular Lo-Prestey style
intakes for cooling the bores only.
Incorporate one central intake below the spinner for oil cooler and
radiator.
Lift the engine by as much as the present cowls will allow to increase
propeller clearance and to make room for the radiator.
I would prefer to keep the battery forward of the firewall. I understand
with the XS installation the battery is positioned behind the baggage bay
bulkhead to bring the CG back into limits.
Any comments to the above.
Mark #285
M C CLARK
--=_1B4CDF32.6D0C6692