Europa vs Kis TR-1

Subject: Europa vs Kis TR-1
From: MARK CLARK <CLAM@kidd.Co.Za>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:48:36

--=_9FC84CFD.06670D20

I read with interest Mike Smythe impressions of the Europa over the last
400 hrs.
I am a Europa builder near Pretoria, South Africa where we take a lot of
flak from mainly Kis builders. I have helped a Kis builder with his wing
closeout and was very impressed with the quality of the honeycomb
Fibreglass parts.
I have flown in the Kis TR-1 fitted with a 65 HP Revmaster engine at
Margate and despite being somewhat underpowered still managed a
respectable 120 knots without wheel spats. This aircraft is now flying
with a 160 HP Lycoming 0-320, although I believe it now lacks elevator
authority at low speed due to the heavy engine. Having only microlight
experience I cannot give a subjective report on handling.
Are there any flyers out there with experience on both types?
I am nearing completion of my fuselage (busy fitting doors) although
have yet to make a decision about engine choice. The 912 UL appears
to be underpowered at gross weight at our altitude and temps (4800 ft
& 20 to 30 Celsius). Dr Chris Neisser 912S powered version should fly
later this year. A 914 powered version project has been abandoned and
I believe is up for sale. Also waiting info on the 3300 Jabiru and the
Wilksh Diesel although the latter may still be a few years down the road.

 I subcontracted the filling of the flying surfaces to someone who has
finished many aircraft including another Europa, Lanceair 4 , Kis TR-4,
Quicky 2,..... He prefers the Europa supplied filler mixed with a high TG
epoxy to the Supafill which I bought for the control surfaces. He reports
a sample to float higher above the water line than the Supafill. I
calculated the sg to be 0.6 cf 0.44 advertised. Any comments?

Mike I don't believe there any Europa Flyers / builders in Cape Town. We
are having our EAA airweek over the Easter weekend which this year
will be held in Klerksdorp. You may see one or two there. Any other
flyers able to make the trip down?
 Mark #285
M C CLARK
--=_9FC84CFD.06670D20