Re: Aileron Hinges......@#$%

Subject: Re: Aileron Hinges......@#$%
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:31:13
&

Fergus Hi!

Not sure if I am on the right wavelength but here goes.

You quote:

>...... while not noticing the little
>admonition about checking to see if there was enough 'flange' to
>accomodate the -5 hinge width. My two ailerons are EXACTLY the same -
>both to narrow by 3/16 inch.............

I too built the flange for 'hinges' to be strong, applying extra 'bid'
etc. and floxed into channel fairly deeply. The areas of the hinges the
flox and skin impeded fitment of hinges at least to 3/16".

It was planned!!

Hinges were fitted as follows:

Using 'pointed' abrasive wheel on Dremel sanded out a 'trench' deep
enough to accommodate the depth of the hinge. Always remembering that
the angle of the flange reduces rapidly the depth available. Had enough
flox in area to adequately achieve. Not that pretty at this time!

If depth insufficient then maybe open this area and redo with flox
'fillet' in required area to allow above action.

Re-measure and carry out indent shaping etc. for hinge placement and
drill holes allowing safely distances to hinge edges.

The next problem is trying to fit 'pop rivets'.

Due to thickness off flange it was necessary to use TLPK 429B Rivets to
get required 'grip' length. At first this seemed impossible as the rivet
could not be pushed fully home due to proximity of 'lead edge shape'.

Drilled out that 'lead edge' slope corresponding to rivet holes to give
fitment depth. Obviously the rivet length reduced as grip was taken up
by compression.

Once riveting completed to satisfaction, finishing was achieved by
'masking' up hinges and preparing some flox, bid etc.

The area between flange and lead edge was filled with wettish flox to
cover over rivet grip heads and 'fill' that 'valley to a sensible depth.
I.e. Not too close to hinge line. Probably a 2mm 'No Fly zone'!!
One layer of (may have been 2) was then carefully applied from plastic
sheet to cover and finish up that area.

PLEASE ENSURE HINGES ADEQUATELY PROTECTED FROM EPOXY!!

The result is a very strong and neatly shaped hinge area with minimum of
weight which was heartily approved by our inspector.

Hope I was in the right area!

As for Aileron 'washout'.

Not sure what you can do but there are some distinguished members on
this circulation who will respond...... Graham!

As my 'Bake' affected at least one Aileron causing reshape and 'blow-
out' of outboard closeout, perhaps the 'power' of heat at this point
could help.

Regards

Gerry

Bldr 384 G-DDSC