Re: Anymous Attacks

Subject: Re: Anymous Attacks
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:23:02
Dear "No Name",

Before you think otherwise, I don't feel Europa is perfect.  However, they've
answered every question and met every expectation my wife and I had prior to our
purchase and have continued to do so.  On the two occasions I've had a
complaint,
Europa addressed them quickly and to my satisfaction.  That being said...

   * Rumored accident at Kemble.  If it turns out W.C. (ret.) Stoner did not
have
     an accident as you described, what then?  Even if there was an accident,
are
     we to believe that Mr. Stoner is incapable of having one unless the
aircraft
     design is flawed?  I don't know any pilot that would claim such ability.
If
     I did, I'd certainly never fly with them.

   * Actual ground handling incidents.  I've read most (if not all) of the
     A.A.I.B's reports (published on their web site) on Europa accidents and
     several of them quote the pilot as saying the accident was due to a mistake
     on their part.  Not really the fault of the design every time, is it?

   * Demo Flights.  It seems more than prudent on Europa's part to have the demo
     pilot handle the takeoff and landing since the prospective buyer may have
     little or no tailwheel experience, and certainly none in a Europa.  I
wonder
     what the liability would be if an accident occurred in such circumstances
and
     the investigation found an unqualified/neophyte pilot (buyer) was allowed
     handle the takeoff/landing instead of the demo pilot, especially if the
demo
     pilot was not a qualified flight instructor.  Any guesses?  Couple that
with
     the loss of revenues whilst the demo aircraft is repaired and any other
     policy seems foolhardy.

   * Europa resale value.  I see no mystery there.  Since many, if not most,
     experimental aircraft of any design don't have a strong resale market,
     expecting otherwise would not be very reasonable.  Also, since any used
     Europas on the market now would most likely be "Classics",  why would
someone
     want to buy the older model with the XS available?

   * Suing a company out of business for making false claims.  What false
claims?
     500 hour build time?  That's hardly anything that a lawsuit could be hung
     on.  Everything I've read about kit building includes the caveat to double
     any manufacturers build time estimates.  150 mph on 80 hp?  Kim Prout's
done
     it, so there's no falsehood there.  By the quote "You're not buying the Mk.
     I, you're buying a fully sorted final version Europa!", I assume you're
     saying you feel cheated that the XS version came out after you'd bought a
     "Classic" kit.  While this wouldn't be the best of news (buy a computer
     lately and you get the same feeling), did this surprise you?  I learned
when
     researching kit building to be careful of buying any new design since there
     are invariably some mods to the aircraft as the initial builder pool sends
     feedback to the designer.  I know full well that I've bootstrapped off the
     efforts of the first builders and am very grateful that their work has
     generated a better airplane than the original.  In fact, I would be wary of
     design that didn't receive any upgrades or changes after its initial
     production run.  Even Boeing does that.

   * Numbers sold.  If Mr. Shaw's airplane was all hype and no substance, the
     initial sales boom would have slowed to a whisper in a year or two.  (Just
     ask Jim Bede how that works.)  The fact that Europa sales continue to be
     strong suggest that there is more to the aircraft than marketing.  (A more
     polite term than your reference to cow excrement.)  Maybe all of those
happy
     owners that have been flying their Europas have something to do with it,
no?

You say you speak for four unhappy owners and know of "many more."  I'm sorry to
hear you're unhappy, but what do you expect to accomplish with this batch of
anger
and accusations?  How will cursing and calling names benefit your cause?  By
further depressing the market for used Europas?  By shaming the "starry-eyed",
"rubber stamp[ing]" PFA into taking some unspecified action?  By making all
persons getting demo flights demand to handle the aircraft from start to stop?
Whatever your goals (assuming they go beyond your anonymous letter), I'd wager
this is not going to be an effective way of reaching them.

Steve "One slightly overwhelmed (but happy) builder" Genotte
Dallas, Texas