Re: AN-style fuel fittings

Subject: Re: AN-style fuel fittings
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:47:56
>Hi Europa Builders,
>
>I have decided to change the fuel system to standard aircraft hoses and
aluminium tubing. My first task has been to change the fuel outlet fittings
and the Rotax 914 fuel connections so I could use standard AN-fittings. I
would like to know if any of you have made a similar mod?

Yes -although I plan to use goodrich type 666 hose (stainless steel braid
covered teflon hose)

The tank outlet fittings (later fuel drain type) can be simply modified by
swapping the drain and feed positions: this allows a standard AN fitting
(one end with the appropriate taper thread) to be used for the feed, and to
effect the drain, a drill needs to be run in where the bore from the spigot
breaks through to the bore in the fitting: this allows just enough meat to
push in the copper drain line and secure it with redux - if you are not
clear on this when you have looked at the pieces, I'll send you a sketch.

This mod has been provisionally approved by the PFA, although you will need
further approval for the rest of the fuel system.

This leaves one weak point in the system, where the tank fitting is secured
to the tank: personally, I don't like hose clamps, but unless Ivan issues
tanks with molded in metal inserts in the next few weeks, I guess that I'm
stuck with it.

Also: not yey approved by the PFA (in the pipeline) but approved by
Europa/Barry M is a direct sight slot (actually 2 of them -effectively a
long angled slot with a mid point bridge) in the tank bay back: allows
direct viewing of the tank contents without any tubes etc (may need a
"backlight") on the ground, and for airbourne duties, we are using an avelec
fuel monitor system.

One question: where have those who have completed their aircraft put the
fuel return back to the tank?

all the best,

Miles