Re: katana performance

Subject: Re: katana performance
From: Jerry <jerry@flyinghi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:42:24
In the Katana I suspect high revs are not an option but more a necessity.
The 912 may like high revs but it feels a lot nicer when not revved high.

Reference VP props there is the option to run at high engine speed and low
throttle setting or low engine speed and high throttle setting. I think
somewhere in between will be shown to be the best option.

Don't confuse drop in rpm with drop in fuel consumption. In my experience
speed and fuel consumption follow a close line. There may be some small
benefit in running the prop with the best pitch and therefor efficiency but
a drop in engine speed of say 20% is unlikely to produce a consumption
improvement of even a quarter of that figure.

I ran my own R912 for the first time this weekend. I have fitted a fuel flow
version of the EIS to my aircraft and will be preparing a detailed report of
pitch ( or rpm ) versus fuel consumption for a range of aircraft speeds. I
would be interested to see any similar information on the 912.

Jerry

                                         Flying Hi - Wish I was
                                       jerry@flyinghi.demon.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown