RE: Starter Cable

Subject: RE: Starter Cable
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:43:23
>We also need to remember that these engines usually catch on the first or
>second revolution so the awg 2 is around 4 extra pounds to carry around
>after the engine is running. Dead weight. Remember the throw it up in the
>air scenario? I've run the numbers and went with awg 4. And no I didn't copy
>the Lakeland kit. Actually it was based on my plane. Bob actually started
>the 914 tri-gear with  awg 12 or 14 on the backup battery and  the wires
>never even got warm. My 2 cents only.
>
>                Jim Thursby N814AT

  Not quite THAT heavy . . . 2AWG is 4 oz per foot, 4 AWG is 3 oz per
  foot for a delta of 1 oz per foot.  If your combined runs of wire
  are 16 feet, you would add one pound for the extra wire size.
  12/14AWG wire would be fine for a battery used in a system were
  the alternator is rated at 250 watts . . . as long as the leads
  were not used for cranking.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)