Re: JPI v. Matronics

Subject: Re: JPI v. Matronics
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:48:49
  <snip>

>      I object very strongly to the patenting of common terms as names
>of products - and SCAN, SCANNING and other similar words are not
>exclusive to anyone - and should never have been enshrined this way. For
>Heaven's sake, let's have an end to it.
>
>Now I feel better.
>Ferg Kyle

   A reader on anohter list-server did a trademark search and
   found that a number of other companies have registered
   "scanner" as a trademark also. I think this one is going to
   die a silent death. Trademarks like patents have to be
   defended to be upheld. No matter how silly the original
   registration was, the fact JPI and about a half dozen
   other companies are not having a free-for-all against
   each other should pretty well negate the issue with
   respect to Matronics.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)