Re: Re: Charge Indicating Lamp

Subject: Re: Re: Charge Indicating Lamp
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:52:25
>Be aware that Super Bright LED's achieve their brilliance by narrowing
>their field of view so only position them right in front of you.

  True for some varieties of "super brights" . . . there are several
  later generation parts with multiple junctions and some newer
  single junction devices that are much brighter without focusing
  the beam.

  The part that Martin was refering to is a multiple junction
  6,000 MCD device.  One could use an array of these things
  behind a diffuser to make an excellent red flood for instrument
  panel lighting. There are some 13,000 MCD devices out there
  too.  These don't just narrow the beam, they've got truly
  retina peeling light output.

  BTW, I've had one of the 6,000 mcd devices plugged into a
  wall-wart in my garage (only place I had an outlet I could
  dedicate to the test) where I've biased the device up at
  120 ma . . . twice it's rated value. It's still going
  strong after 6 months at 24 hours a day.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  A mind abhors a vacuum . . . >