Re: Charge Indicating Lamp

Subject: Re: Charge Indicating Lamp
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:11:00
Re: Charge Indicating Lamp

I'm still thinking of installing a charge indicating lamp but want to know
if a 12V LED will be OK.

The manual calls for a 3W/12V lamp but this is also called for the optional
alternator charging lamp so maybe thats why it says 3W (3 watts
presumably).

I have a 12V LED for my starter engaged lamp and it works just fine but
electronics is my weakness (well, one of them). Is a large current running
through the lamp if the recifier is not charging and can an LED 'burn out'
as a result?

The 12V LED I use is about 0.4 inch diameter so seems pretty 'meaty' by LED
standards but is not rated with any sort of wattage.

Grateful for any help or pointers.

Regards

Martin Tuck
N152MT