Re: 912 Exhaust System??

Subject: Re: 912 Exhaust System??
From: Graham Singleton <gsingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:46:43

-----Original Message-----
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com <JohnJMoran@aol.com>
Date: 29 January 1999 15:39
Subject: 912 Exhaust System??

>Having heard several comments about the nuts on the exhaust studs
loosening, I
>am considering how to avoid this problem. I assume that lockwashers are not
>used because they would rust or otherwise fail at the high temperatures
>involved. Since the brass nuts don't seem to be totally secure, several
>alternative approaches came to mind:

Kim Prout showed me a good one. A company called Stage 8 in CA make locking
safety bolts. Simple and look nice. The hex head of the bolt, (they do nuts
too I believe) has a circlip groove part way up from the bearing face. A
washer with a tongue and a hex hole slips over the bolt head and is locked
in place with a circlip.  The tongue works like a spanner and prevents the
bolt from turning. I plan to fit a set at our next check.

Stage 8, San Rafael, CA 94901, phone 415 485 5340 or 800 843 7836

Graham