Re: Forced Air Respirators

Subject: Re: Forced Air Respirators
From: Thom Besch <bescht@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:09:58
In a recent Experimentor (EAA) magazine a member from our local
chapter here in Washington demonstrated a very effecive forced air
system using a mask with the filters removed, a plastic drainage hose
(about 1.5 inches, $12 US for 25 feet), and a squirrel cage from a
bathroom fan.  He uses it often an says it works even with his beard
(a standard mask would never seal, but this has enough overpressure).
He hangs the motor on a board which he puts outside his window, thu8s
he gets fresh air.  And yes, he recommends a filter over hte intake to
keep out the bugs.

---Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz> wrote:

> A PFA mag (if my memory serves me well) some time ago had a design
for a
> homebuilt version. All it used was a 3M mask with the inlet hose
coming into
> one inlet hole and the other inlet hole blocked off. Any type of
hood can
> then be placed over this.
>
> One thing you do need to check is that the compressor is delivering
_clean_
> air. Some compressors can introduce minute quantities of vapourised
> lubricating oil into the air stream which kind of defeats the
purpose of
> trying to breath clean air.
>
> Tony

I'm sure
> >it was as expensive as it was extensive, it occurred to me that it
> >would/should not be too hard to make your own system for use in the
home
> >workshop (aka Aircraft Production Facility or APF).  Has anyone
done this?

> >If so,
> >
> >What air source did they use?
> >What pressure?
> >Will my lightweight 3/4 horsepower compressor do the job?
> >Is there any air filtration issues?
> >How did you make the hood?
> >
> >Or is it easier to buy a ready-made system?
> >
> >With the amount of sanding that is involved in giving "birth" to a
Europa
> it
> >just strikes me as a good piece of kit to have for people like me
who are
> >prone to itchiness.
> >

> >Thanks in advance
> >

> >Peter "I have just bought the house, now I need to build the APF"
Allen

info@avnet.co.uk