Rotax trigger coil problems and TP6 tailplane sleeve

Subject: Rotax trigger coil problems and TP6 tailplane sleeve
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:09:25
I've just had a call from Jonathan Millbank (#054, G-EIKY).

He thinks he has solved a long-running problem with his Rotax 912 by
adjusting the trigger-coil gaps. Apparently they were delivered set much
too close (varying from -1 to +9 thou) and he had not checked them before
engine installation because of the instructions not to bump the trigger
unit in case it disturbed the factory settings. (If you have a Rotax engine
awaiting installation, it might be worthwhile just checking those gaps
against the manual!) After removing the engine and re-setting them
(according to the Rotax maintenance manual which Jonathan commends as a
good purchase) to the recommended 12 to 16 thou they were about to go off
on a test flight today.

During rigging some difficulty was found in assembling the tailplane
halves, and they discovered that the TP6 sleeve was coming unbonded.
Jonathan remembers bonding this in himself and scuffing it as instructed -
but apparently that may not be enough, as Graham Singleton said in October
'95:

>My advice is to thoroughly dimple the stainless steel bushes with a 3/16
>drill.
>Be careful not to distort the inside surface or the bush will jam. I don't
>>think scuffing with 60 grit is enough.

Jonathan is now looking for the PFA-approved repair scheme for this
problem! He in not online, so anyone wishing to contact him about this
should look him up in the factory list or the Europa Club members list. Of
course there may be others on this forum who would benefit from further
sharing of knowledge on this topic!

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...