Re: Datcon Fuel level Gauge

Subject: Re: Datcon Fuel level Gauge
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:00:53

>> Is there anyone on the list who has a PFA approved addition of a Datcon (as
>>supplied by Aircraft Spruce) fuel level sender / gauge to a Europa tank, and
>>who is willing to share details of the intallation?  I'd be grateful for any
>>information.  I saw a couple of such installations at Cranfield last year
but
>>foolishly have lost the notes which I took at the time.
>>Thanks,
>>Dave #340

I can't speak to PFA approval, but I did install the Datcon unit.  The plane
is not complete, so I can't speak to performance either, but FWIW -

1. The gauge reads linear and can't be altered otherwise, and the shape of the
fuel tank you know.  The effect will be slow needle movement when the tank is
=BE-full or better, and quick movement on the last quarter, the opposite of
what's desirable if there must be any error.  However, I'm used to setups on
U.S. certificated aircraft that aren't much better, and since fuel quantity
cannot be visually checked in pre-flight, I will retain Europa's sight gauge
(relocated)

2. I made a cardboard mockup of the port side of the tank, so I could
precisely site the hole to both allow free movement of the float and access to
the mounting plate through the hole in the headrest.   To permit the latter, I
did not glass in a floor in the port headrest, but rather cobbled up a
removable, split floor that sits on fiberglass flanges I laid inside the
headrest.  Still useful for storage, but removable for access.

3. I mounted the thing by installing an aluminum flange with nut plates on the
inside of the top of the tank.  To do this, the flange is "C" shaped to permit
it to be inserted, and I left out two of the nut plate rivets, until inserted
in the tank, wherein I then used two long pop rivets to affix the nut plates
and flange.

4. Datcon supplies tiny O-rings to seal the mounting screws.  They will leak.
Locate a hardware store that sells "sealing washers."  These are metal washers
with rubber washers bonded onto them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063