Rudder troughs

Subject: Rudder troughs
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:00:08
Hi Steve,

Don't worry, they say the chock is the hardest part to build. If you master
it (in the UK your inspector actually signs it off) you should have no
problems with subsequent layups.

The inspector can actually tell a lot from looking at the chock. It will
show him cleanliness of work, attention to detail (i.e. symmetrical
corners) as well as whether you are over zealous with the epoxy aka weight
(or under zealous aka strength).

If you can find an EAA technical advisor to look at it you will find it
most valuable.

Fortunately, my inspector signed of both my chock (he made another builder
redo his - see note about flox corners below) and my fin, rudder and
tailplane halves before I came out here. Got to know what to look for in
terms of proper layup etc.

Don't be afraid to build another one either, if you've not done any
glassing before it is a good exercise.

When you get to do the underside of the chock you will cut 1/4 inch troughs
for a flox corner. Obviously, on corners, glass to glass is not going to
work so you bond the edges with a flox corner (oh, and make sure you know
the difference between flox and micro).

This then leads onto your rudder question. Where the corners are thin, an
overlap of the glass is not going to be very strong, so the troughs are for
your flox corners. Made mine about 1/4 inch as I recall. Careful carrying
components round the house though they are likely to dig a big hole out of
your wall if you are not careful!

Above all though, ENJOY IT!

As for me, I'm placarding at the moment and hope to do first engine runs
once we come out of this deep freeze (next few weeks or so).

Regards

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas