RE: Electric cable installation Tail, battery

Subject: RE: Electric cable installation Tail, battery
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 16:59:22
>Yes, sure I've been aware engines usually are rubber-mounted on their
>mounts, and of course ground straps between engine block and mount have
>always been common practice.
>
>What I've been wondering about, however, was the remark that, as I
>understood it, the actual structure of the mount itself should never be used
>as ground lead. Is that true, or is it just a matter of not defining things
>precisely enough?

 The advise against using engine mounts for ground paths
 is based on several relatively minor points. First, the
 mount is generally tubular steel, not nearly the quality
 of conductor that a copper ground strap. There are a myriad
 of joints and attaching hardware involved in the grounding
 path each of which contributes a small amount of resistance
 in the milliohm or sub milliohm level. Engine mounts attach
 to the airframe in generally 4 or more places which causes
 currents from the mount to flow across the firewall sheet from
 a variety of directions. Fasteners designed for adequate
 mechanical performance may or may not be good also for
 electrical performance . . . given that having an engine
 fall off is more stressful than having poor electrical system
 performance, efforts to optimize mechanical integrity
 tend to prevail.

 Any one of these considerations by itself is relatively
 minor but if anyone has read my articles on grounding
 will know that the sum total of these effects can add
 up to significant performance losses and/or noises. The
 obvious solution is let the engine mount hold the engine
 on and let a ground strap carry the electrons to and from
 a single ground point on the firewall. BOTH may be
 optimized for their respective tasks without compromising
 the other.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)