Re: Corrosion Proofing

Subject: Re: Corrosion Proofing
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 00:08:22
Steve,

Don't worry too much about the aluminium (structurally) unless you operate
near the sea or you're fusssy about internal appearances.

I've painted my internal steel bits with red lead primer then maroon
cellulose top
coat. It's a combination which seems to work on other external metalwork
I've built.

Where there are items which might collect water (anti-balance/trim tab
operating T piece ends, flap operating cross tube, perhaps engine mounts,
I've
either bunged them up, or sprayed Waxoil inside.  You can get neat and
light plastic tube bungs for all sizes.
Steel parts which show, such as the brake lever, I've had plated (don't
forget to ask for de-brittle if there's stress in it).  Alu. parts which
show I've had polished and anodised.  The undercarriage arm I've had hard
anodised 'cos it's likely to see abrasion.

I bought stainless screws for external applications such as inspection
covers.

Best trick is to examine the used Europas at Cranfield to see which bits
are rotting or scruffy, and do your finishing to suit.

Good luck - don't get carried away.

Dave