Re: Tailwheel Mod.

Subject: Re: Tailwheel Mod.
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:46:30
Troy,

I fitted the new tail wheel (and removed the old) before fitting the top on
- it's much easier to make a good job of the glassing.

You'll need to jury rig the top with Clecos and make up and fit the plywood
part of the rear close out first.  This also involves temporary fitting of
the fuselage top and fin.  Since you have to do this later anyway, it is
not wasted effort.

Scuff sand the areas to be glassed while it's all accessible.  Fit the
fuselage top and fin temporarily with Clecos and make up the rear plywood
close out as per build instructions.  Bond this in place to the bottom
fuselage with a few blobs of 5 min.  Remove the rudder and top leaving the
ply close out in place at its funny angles.  Fit the tailwheel and glass in
the reinforcement using access from the top.  I put my glass on plastic
sheet for the big bits.

Couple of other things:  It's wise to increase the diameter of the tail
wheel spring bolt; the designed size is known to bend when turning rapidly
(OK it was nearly a ground loop).  Also the Mickey Mouse tail wheel stop
(roll pin) does what you'd expect on its first real side load - it bends.
Design a proper one - it's easy to fit a plate to the top of the rear end
of the arm.

Good luck

Dave Simpson