Tailplane torque-tube set-up

Subject: Tailplane torque-tube set-up
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 21:18:28
Message text written by "GERAINT L OWENS"
>My front and rear dimensions are spot on,
measured at the correct place (bottom of joggle), but my dimension across
the torque-tube centres is 259mm.   Does this matter?   If I need to adjust
to 255mm, then I assume that I can only reduce the front measurement<

Nope. There is enough flexibility in the mouldings to accomodate this. Go
for the specified dimensions. The important thing is that once the elevator
tube bearings are bonded in NOTHING must change, otherwise there will be
unacceptable friction in the pitch control. It would be wise to leave the
front piece of wood, (small , there isn't much space in there) permanently
in place. Certainly until the top is bonded on.

You may find later on that some further distortion is needed to fit the
sternpost and make the whole lot match the rudder. Don't worry, just jig it
all with some stiff pieces of aluminium extrusion and a pile of spring
clips, (about 16 a side).

Graham