Fit of Cowling

Subject: Fit of Cowling
From: William S. Stewart <bill@helixsys.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:06:03
I am building an XS with the Rotax 914.  After fitting the cowling, there
seems to be something wrong.  I am not at all satisfied with the fit.  What
I see as problems are:
1. The seam is not level, but slopes upward, being about one inch higher in
front than at the firewall.

2. The front of the cowling is about 3/4 inch behind the front of the
propeller drive flange.

3. The exhaust pipe from the #1 cylinder comes within 1/4 inch of the
cowling.

4. The air filter will not fit inside cowling without modifying the
cowling.

It seems that either the cowling is wrong or my engine is too far forward
and one inch too high.  I cannot determine which, or how to fix the engine
if it is at fault.  Any suggestions out there?

Bill Stewart A098
N6LB