Engine Commissioning

Subject: Engine Commissioning
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 14:16:41
Engine Commissioning

Well, I guess we're getting close to first engine runs - at least I'm
reading the Chapter: Commissioning the Engine. ... but a few questions to
those who have already gone through this stage.

I guess hiring the test equipment out on a carry it out basis is a bit
impracticle for me (being 5000 miles away) so a decription of the items
and/or some sort of diagram would be a good idea.

Once fitted though and you are testing the electric pump, its either going
to achieve 2 liters in 4 minutes or it's not. What do you do if it doesn't
- the instructions don't say. Has anyone found a defective pump that this
might be a worry yet?

Checking the engine oil pressure depression in the oil inlet pipe by use of
the test gauge while the engine is at full throttle sounds interesting
(finding someone willing to stand that close to the prop to look might
prove difficult unless you can rig it so you can see from inside what the
reading is). But then what? Supposing it is less than 0.3 bar (4.4 psi).
Can you adjust it or does it mean the oil system isn't primed properly?

The last check is to check the fuel flow rate from the mechanical pump with
the engine at full throttle. Hmmm even more interesting. I guess the pipe
would have to long enough to take the fuel well away from the engine/prop
wash. And like the other tests what do you do if it doesn't deliver the
minimum fuel rate? Can you adjust it? - don't think so.

Lastly with engine idling and both pumps operating, checking the fuel
pressure does not exceed 0.3 bar (4.4 psi). What if it does?

The common theme here is, OK I've got these tests to do but what if I don't
achieve the required minimums/maximums. Anyone done these tests and found
that they couldn't achieve the requirements?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards
Martin Tuck
N152MT