Re: RE: [canard-aviators] EZ poxy 84

Subject: Re: RE: [canard-aviators] EZ poxy 84
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:20:16

<<
 Short and simple - Epoxies do not cure very well below 70F.   It is best
 to heat your shop to at least 70F and better yet - 75 to 80F.

The quote by Gary Hunter is good but one does need to temper it a bit with
info about the specific epoxy.  My shop gets very cool in the winter, down to
45F at night sometimes.  I used Fairlite with West epoxy+205 hardner and found
that it will cure at fairly low temperatures.  When the lows are in the 50's
it cures over night quite nicely but when the lows are in the 40's it takes a
few hours more.  When using this epoxy/hardner at 70F or above one must mix
fairly small batches and keep the fill in a layer around the cup to avoid an
exotherm (don't ask how I discovered this).  There is an excellent brochure
for the West epoxy which gives info on temperature issues.

Gary's broad view certainly is appropriate with Aeropoxy, particularly when
structural layups are involved.  But West is an alternative for those who
would like to continue work - and filling is a LOT of work - when the weather
is cold without having to give the electric company a mortgage on the plane.
The bright side of filling in a cool shop is that you don't sweat so much
while sanding.

John           A044