Synthetic Oil in Rotax 912/914 Engines

Subject: Synthetic Oil in Rotax 912/914 Engines
From: gstout@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:47:21

I was just browsing through some Rotax Technical bulletins and read where
the use of fully synthetic motor oil should not be used in combination with
AVGAS.  The bulletin goes on to state that excessive wear and residue
formation has been found on engines using this combination.  They recommend
using natural motor oil if AVGAS is being used, or better yet, they
recommend always using unleaded MOGAS at all times.

I plan to use MOGAS almost all the time, but may find myself on a long
cross country flight where only AVGAS is available at the refueling field.
If I am using synthetic motor oil, is this occasional tankfull of AVGAS
going to cause me a problem?  Should I switch to natural motor oil?

If anyone has had any experience with this, please share with us.  Thanks.

Regards,
Garry Stout, A062
(813) 878-3929, TieLine 427-3929
FAX (813) 878-7976, Internet ID Gstout@us.ibm.com