Re: Double Messages

Subject: Re: Double Messages
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 07:12:55
Tony Hi!
I look after the Europa Club mailing list and indeed accept that 'double
mailing' takes place occasionally and sometimes frequently in 'short'
periods.

Its an unfortunate fact that the democracy of Internet Mail allows 'all'
to participate relying on some form of etiquette to control sensible
postings etc.i.e. attachments (size and content)

With the best will in the world this relies on people. NOT a good bet!

The Europa Club Mail List tries to reduce the number of 'spam' and
rubbish e-mails by 'filtering' all names out that are not on the Mail
List and holding unwanted mail.

Several times a week I clear out this Filter, allowing messages through
that I feel are pertinent. Anything to do with Aircraft including
Antenna/Aerials I let through at that stage as I feel my opinion of
pertinent mail should not 'rule' the content of the mail list.

Often this mail after release will have reached some of us already but
even those on the mail list can be 'stalled' for various reasons. I
cannot tell who has received or not received messages so cannot risk
global 'delete'. Thats when you get a repeat of an earlier message.

Most weeks that can be as high as a 100+ Messages. 800 being the record.

Some very interesting subjects!!!

Most are deleted!

Unfortunately referring e-mail circulated to our group prior to
'release' is fraught and relies on good info in the mail list. This mail
list is self subscribing and you've guessed it, relies on everyone to
update changes in e-mail address etc but is further compounded by
Servers around the world handling the mail also being errant
occasionally.

In short we are paying a price for this ease of communications and you
felt with others the cost.

The only additional filter we could use is the ensure all mail note
Subject 'words' are more clearer as being pertinent to Europa and then I
can discard some of the more spurious subject matter more readily.

Hope that helps and although I know it does'nt fix your problem you can
see that Internet mail still has a long way to go.

Any ideas anyone has would be gratefully received.

Regards

Gerry

Bldr No 384
Gerry Holland