Tailplane anti-servo trim tab alignment

Subject: Tailplane anti-servo trim tab alignment
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:49:05
Tony "K"
      After reading about your trouble with the trim tabs not lining up
when you put the stbs. on the aircraft, I had the same problem.  However
this is the solution.   Set up the Stabilizers on their spar on the
bench.  Pinned into the correct location.  Note, the spar must be marked
(on the inside of the tube) port and starbd. and "up".   This way you
will always put it together the same way each time. I used a felt pen to
mark it up.  With the stabs. now in position and the anti-servo tabs on,
you use the Europa provided "T" actuating rod to position the second
actuating tab.  The key is the long portion of the "T" must rest in the
"middle" of the two brackets, on the spar, that will eventually support
the anti-flutter bracket/weights.  Then a straight bar,  angle,  straight
edge  what ever you want, with at least three clamps per side to line up
the trailing edge of the trim tabs and the stabilizers.  It all goes
together with flox and your there.  Make sure that the last  actuating
tab extends out the bottom the same distance.   Eye ball will do.   Mine
went together on the aircraft  with one tab up from the other.   I found
that moving the long part of the "T" left and right would move the tabs
until with the right position (moving it left or right) would put the
trim tabs exactly inline as I had them on the bench.  However, my bracket
which mounts the friction device bell crank drive was off to one side.
By moving the bracket left or right still maintaining the correct
distance from the spar (per the jig you make) you now line everything up
and the tabs are in the correct position.  I then redrilled four new
holes to made it permanent.  I then moved the "Mac" actuator to line up
with the bell crank on the friction bracket and it was done!  It sure
saves removing the actuating tab and redoing that whole mess.  This
sounds complicated but if you walk it through your head for a moment, it
all makes sense.  Geometry did come into play ......thank you Junior High
School, 1957.  When schools actually taught something.  My power
disconnect is a 9 pin din plug.  In effect you don't mount the friction /
bell crank bracket until you have the stabilizers on with the "TO"
mounted between them.  This sticking through the hole will tell you where
to mount the bell crank actuator.  Then mount the "Mac" drive and its
done.    As they say around here, been there, done that.
        Many thanks for your building "it" on the WEB.   It sure has made
it easier for a bunch of us just behind you. Your book at Oshkosh was
really very good  Hope to see you at Sun-N-Fun next year if you can make
it..

                                                                Europajim
@ Juno.com