Rotax Tacho's

Subject: Rotax Tacho's
From: RonSwinden@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:33:57
Recently I saw some figures on the above done by John Brownlow. they were in
the range 4400 rpm to 5600 tacho the corrected (for gearbox) figures ran from
4727 to 6046  running on average about 8% high.
I did a shorter series of tests on my rig  so I have put all the figures that
I got in.
Tacho                     Prop                    Engine     error       %
2000                        900                     2045        +45
2.25
3000                       1400                     3181        +181     6.00
4000                       1950                     4431        +431     10.8
4500                       2200                     5000        +500     11.3

The nasty bit about the above is the way in which the error seems to be
heading.
If the increase does indeed follow the curve it seems to be on full normal
revs 5500 on the tacho would probably be around  6200 or 6200 and a quick run
to an indicated absolute max of 5800  would really get you worried.
My checks were done with a tacho sold for the model makers but checked at
vaious veifiable speeds such as mains frequency and computer frame rates and
so fourth it seems pretty good. Any comments please.
Ron S No33.