SEMB Accuracy

Subject: SEMB Accuracy
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:08:47
Gents,

I thought I'd toss out the final installment of my series on the Super
Epoxy Mixing Balance in order to satisfy the curiosity of the one or two
of you that have followed this saga.  :-)

Using an Ohaus electronic scale w/ .1 gram resolution, I measured out
100 g of water, then used the SEMB to arrive at a 100:44 and 100:27
ratio, respectively.  In the first test I achieved balance at a final
weight of 143.0 g and 128.2 g.  In the second trial I had a final weight
of 143.0 g and 126.7 g.  The third go 'round gave figures of 143.4 g and
126.8 g.

All in all I'm quite impressed.  Throw out the low and high scores and
the accuracy of the SEMB is within 3% for the 100:44 ratio and 2% for
the 100:27 setting.  (Check my math to be sure I got that right.)  Since
this was the first thing I've built since high school shop class (which
I nearly flunked), it seems that anyone with the right tools can produce
an SEMB at least as accurate as mine if not more so.

Cheers,

Steve Genotte

PS.  I wound up lighting my "airplane factory" for less than US$70
(including the cost of bulbs for the fixtures).  Now I'm off to buy a
whole lot of white peg board.  That'll give me all the storage space
I'll need plus increase the albedo of my workspace by a good margin as
it's currently "finished" in a depressing "drywall paper brown".   Ecch.