Re: Re: Master Solenoid

Subject: Re: Re: Master Solenoid
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 15:15:50

>>I noticed a reference in the (excellent) Europa Flyer which I just received
>>that the use of an aircraft type battery contactor (relay type battery
>>isolator) is not recommended as the standard Rotax alternator does not have
>>enough output to support the coil current.

   The Rotax alternator is pretty light but not sufficient
   excuse to forego the safety offered by classic battery
   contactor installations.

>>My question is, is an 'aircraft type battery contactor (relay type battery
>>isolator)' the same as a master solenoid. It sounds the same but can't
>>believe the alternator cannot cope. The Europa manual suggests a master
>>solenoid draws about 1 amp so should not be a problem.

   The contactors I use do indeed draw 0.9 amps. When you think
   about how the system is usually loaded, with all normal day
   VFR equipment on, you shouldn't have more than 5 amps of goodies
   running. Add 0.9 amps for contactor and the 912 still has 12
   amps left over to charge battery. Nite VFR adds about another
   9 amps which pushes your alternator to the limit but still
   possible.

   Landing lights don't count . . . they should be used sparingly
   and/or be small 50W halogen lamps that don't overload the system
   so badly for the short time that you need to run 'em.

Gerry Holland
Intranet Solutions Inc.
gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk
gerry.holland@intranetsol.com