Re: Cleanliness is next to..

Subject: Re: Cleanliness is next to..
From: Roger Bull <roger@europaaircraft.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:44:35

<In the September =22Air Alerts=22 (FAA AC 43-16A),  AD 98-15-16 concerns the
required installation of an improved fuel pump and fuel supply tube on the
Rotax 912F.

Roger=27s reference to the 912F is the first I have seen concerning the Europa.

I recall Graham noting that the 912=27s mechanical fuel pump flow was marginal
in the tests he conducted prior to adding a fuel return as suggested by Rotax
and now Europa.

Does this AD mean that Rotax now has an improved pump and can it be applied to
the 912UL also?

John      A044>

The 912F is the certified version of the 912, whereas the 912UL is the
non-certified
version.

The 912F has steel piping between the fuel pump and the carburettors, and the AD
arose because of a vibration problem at a critical frequency of these pipes,
which in turn cracked the fuel pump casing. The fuel pumps themselves are the
same on both engines and have not been changed.

Regards,
Roger Bull