Europa Cockpit Size

Subject: Europa Cockpit Size
From: Steve Lock <LOCKS@omc.bt.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 10:01:36
System:   OMC

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who replied, both to the list and in e-mail.  I'm
slightly disheartened to hear that the Europa is unlikely to fit the bill,
but intend to give it a shot anyway.  It's the only kit I've ever
considered, so I'm likely to find it difficult to find an alternative
simply due to my own lack of knowledge.  Still, the research should be
interesting :)

I haven't given up yet though.  One of the people who responded in email
not only lives close to me, but works at the very same BT site here in
Ipswich *and* he's owned a Europa for some time now!  Small world, huh?

With a bit of beer bribery, I'm hoping he'll allow me to make the short
trip to have a good look at his 'plane and to try the cockpit out for size.

I understand that the XS has a little extra room, so if it's marginal in
his "original" then I'll still give the XS a try.  If it's no good at all
then at least I know where I stand, and the hunt for the perfect kit
begins!

FWIW, I currently fly a C172.  The club has a 150, and it's ok size wise,
but once you've got me, an instructor and full tanks of fuel, the
performance is very marginal for a flapped go-around.  I realise that I'm
not going to get the same size in a home-built as I would in a 172, but
it's the weight restriction of the 150 that makes me go to the 172, not the
cockpit space.

Maybe there's something that can be done at build time to improve the
available space, although this would clearly be more difficult if width is
a problem.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

Regards,
Steve Lock.