Re: Re: Firewall Panels

Subject: Re: Re: Firewall Panels
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:47:13
Hi Martin,

Did you set the distance between the footwell and the rudder pedal to 1.5in
per the manual?  This sets the angle of the pedal arms so that they will clear
the firewall. The manual allows this to be set as low as 0.6in which would
improve clearance, although cable stretch in use could then become a problem.
My original cables were a bit short and caused the arms to contact the
firewall at the extreme positions.  I used turnbuckles near the aft end of the
cables to allow precise adjustment and to allow compensating easily for cable
stretch in use.

The holes in the firewall for the cables on my installation were similar to
those in the drawings except that because I used two Nicopress's on the end I
had to open the top of the stbd hole a bit to pass the rear Nicopress. The
resulting hole is a rounded triangle, wider at the top.

One peculiarity I found is that the widest part of the pedal arm touched the
firewall on the stbd side. This is because the bottom of the stbd panel goes
around the bottom tube of the LG frame which holds it away from the tube
slanting up from the stbd corner.  I slit the stainless upwards from this
corner about 1/2in so the firewall could be pushed back closer to the slanting
tube.  Were I to do it over again, I'd move the rudder pedals forward about
1/8in, but one doesn't know this is needed until they're mounted and the
firewall is cut - Catch 22, I guess.

When is the first flight scheduled?

Regards,   John    A044