Loss of oil pressure in flight

Subject: Loss of oil pressure in flight
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:25:35
I have refitted my Rotax 912 after its checkout by Skydrive following my oil
loss in flight, and after an hour of ground running I have now flight tested
it and am very pleased to say that all pressures and temperatures are
exactly the same as they were before the problem.
There is one proviso to that. I have increased the gap at the bottom of our
cowling by another 1/8 inch making it now about 3/16 inch opening across the
bottom 4 screws. I have now seen a drop of 8 degrees C allowing for OAT
diferences.
I have also incorporated the Bob Fairall mod to the oil pipe that broke. It
is now routed towards the rear of the engine instead of towards the front.
The difference is that before, the Firesleeve was a real tight fit between
the pipe and the silencer, whereas I can now get my hand comfortably between
the pipe and the silencer. I believe that the factory are going to recommend
that everyone incorporates this into their installation, but in the
meantime, if you know anyone who is flying, but who is not on this forum,
please let them know about it. Having to pay out for a new engine for the
sake of rotating a pipe fitting would not be very funny.

Dave Watts 'XDY now airbourne again and off to the Scilly Isles this weekend.