Re: Europa cockpit size

Subject: Re: Europa cockpit size
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:51:17
Eric Tauch wrote:

> ....Anyway, I was very impressed with the Europa, but while sitting in
> Europa's cabin "mockup" (left side), I found that I had to pretty much
> lean to the right  to keep the cabin door frame out of my left
> shoulder.  Head room was fine, and leg room was adequate, but felt a bit
> like putting my legs into hole.
>
> This surprised me, as from all that I had read, the cabin at 44 in width
> is supposed to be bigger than most.  I now
> regret not sitting in any of the other planes there (most had signs not
> to touch), as I have nothing to compare to.
>
> I do not remember feeling this way on my first Cessna 172 flight lesson
> which was a couple weeks ago (cramped at the shoulders).  I will pay
> very close attention to this on my next lesson.
>
> Could any of you provide feedback to how the Europa compares to some of
> the other home-builts in the cabin
> width category??  The seat width seemed fine, but the shoulder width was
> not good (for me anyway).
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Eric Tauch
> Plano, Texas, USA

Eric,
I discussed this with Bob Berube, Ed Lindsay, and others at Sun n Fun, and the
answer then was indeed
that the demo cockpit feels smaller (narrower) because of the way the demo
cockpit
upholstery has been
fitted.  The edge along the canopy rail sticks out far more in that
configuration
than it did in my
demonstrator rides, or in some of the other aircraft.  It appears to me that at
least 1/2" to 3/4" would
be "recoverable" on each side if a builder makes it a point to avoid a very
thick
bolster there.  I feel
sure it is possible, because all the others I've sat in have been much better.

Regards,
Jim Graham
A-101