Europa cockpit size

Subject: Europa cockpit size
From: Eric Tauch <et@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:03:10
Greetings all,

Finally got to sit in a Europa over the weekend at Oshkosh.  I am fairly
new to aviation, and am currently working on my PPL, so take my comments
accordingly.

I have also been doing a lot of home-built research and studying for
about the past 4 years and have pretty much decided on building
something like a Rans S-6, or potentially moving up to the Europa.  You
might say most of
my aviation experience is of the academic type (ie, book-reading)!

Anyway, I was very impressed with the Europa, but while sitting in
Europa's cabin "mockup" (left side), I found that I had to pretty much
lean to the right  to keep the cabin door frame out of my left
shoulder.  Head room was fine, and leg room was adequate, but felt a bit
like putting my legs into hole.

This surprised me, as from all that I had read, the cabin at 44 in width
is supposed to be bigger than most.  I now
regret not sitting in any of the other planes there (most had signs not
to touch), as I have nothing to compare to.

I do not remember feeling this way on my first Cessna 172 flight lesson
which was a couple weeks ago (cramped at the shoulders).  I will pay
very close attention to this on my next lesson.

Could any of you provide feedback to how the Europa compares to some of
the other home-builts in the cabin
width category??  The seat width seemed fine, but the shoulder width was
not good (for me anyway).

Thanks in advance....

Eric Tauch
Plano, Texas, USA