Re: #4 Terminal Lugs

Subject: Re: #4 Terminal Lugs
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:29:01

>Bob:  I did electronic repair for about 6 years on computers back when
>there were quite a few wires still on the boards.  One of the things I
>noticed was that if there were any movement of the wires, they ALWAYS broke
>at the solder joint, like the heat from soldering had "heat hardened" the
>copper, causing it to be less flexible.  I also found out about the problem
>with solder flux the hard way and threw it away.

   there are fluxes and then there are FLUXES . . . . see Gary Crane's
   most illuminating post . . . I've posted a copy of this thread
   at <http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/solder.html>

> . . . .  Have you found any
>problems with wires breaking next to the solder joint, or could it have
>been my technique. Thanks
>Art GlaStar #5289

  ANY wire that is crimped or soldered will break off right at
  the joint if not supported behind the joint. This is a feature
  built into the pre-insulated, diamond-grip (PIDG) by AMP and
  equivalent devices from other manufacturers. There's a sort
  of evil aura built up around soldered joints as being less
  reliable because of breakage at the joint. It isn't the joint's
  fault but the lack of insulation support behind the joint.
  Try crimping an un-insulated terminal to a small gage wire and
  you'll get the same results.

  With FAT wires, the stress levels are much lower and as I've
  written before, never had a FAT guy break off or burn away
  when installed per the referenced article. I've been diseminating
  that article in one form or another to hundreds of builders
  and I've had no reported difficulties with the technique. With
  small wires, PIDG terminals or solder + heatshrink will produce
  adequate joints.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)