Re: Bonding cockpit module

Subject: Re: Bonding cockpit module
From: Plantragg Developments <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:26:19
I recommend an initial 'dry run' prior to applying REDUX, mark out the locations
on the fuselage where the module sits - with a different colour where there
are big gaps - (having used 1/8" nuts & bolts with "overgrown" flat washers to
limit any outside skin indents.)  Remove the module and apply REDUX to BOTH
surfaces
(thicker where there are bigger gaps) carefully lift module into place
pulling it home with 1/8 rivets - again with large washers - working from the
forward end first working equal sides backwards and NOT pulling the rivets too
tight to squeeze out all the REDUX.  Use a light behind to watch the colour
- a good dark green indicates good bond - then travel all excess off from around
all mating joints - peel to smooth it off.  This way you will limit the outside
shin dimples - the principle being better to use some extra REDUX on a limited
area rather than add filler with no structural benefit !  DON'T, however,
remove any rivets until all has completely set and don't put any where the
control
tubes bearings run close to the floor.  You can remove the rivets later
and fill the holes as a separate job.

I used the same plan for Fuselage Top fitting also and got about a 97% bond on
both.

As for your original question - if you will be fitting MOTOR GLIDER wings as a
later alternative you could upgrade your wiring pin bushes to 1/2" before
fitting
the module and if you are putting any fuel level sender probes in the tank
they should be in the tank before now. - also I have put a fuel level 'stand'
pipe up the seat back bulkhead thro' the bulkhead along the tank to STARBOARD
and then through the luggage bay bulkhead to save a 'loaded' plastic pipe
running
right round the cockpit ! best to route the pipe now - certainly prior to
laying up the wiring spar brackets.

Regards
Bob Harrison
Builder 337