Re: Lubricants

Subject: Re: Lubricants
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:25:33
>Gidday,
>I would like to know what people would recommend as the most applicable
>lubricant to use on my tailplane torque tube.

>Tony Renshaw
>Builder No.236

 Hi Tony,
We have been flying our Europa now for just over 2 years. It is rigged and
de-rigged for every flying occasion, so all the parts are well tested. I
have found a wipe with a cloth soaked in very light machine oil (called 3
In One over here) makes the tail planes slide on and off very easy. The
torque tubes need to be wiped with a clean cloth and reoiled about every
couple of months when the oil starts to get a bit sticky, but that is all.
The pip pins get the same treatment, but they can be washed in a solvent
before reoiling. I prefer to use grease on the spar pins, and have made a
small receptacle out of a piece of ally. Tube to keep them in when
de-rigged. This is fastened to the seat back close to the spar pin
location, keeps them safe and clean.

Jim Naylor
Flyer no. 39
G-BVLV