Re: Gear Warning ?

Subject: Re: Gear Warning ?
From: Gramin <Gramin@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 17:22:35
In a message dated 23/04/98  15:39:10,  JohnJMoran@aol.com writes:

<< Is it appropriate to add a LG alarm or does the lack of pitch change due to
 LG/flap deployment provide sufficient warning so that this would be a waste
of
 effort?  >>

In one of the gear-up landings I know about, the main warning feature (high
approach speed) was absent due to the pilot side slipping - so yes add one.

However  IMHO the RMI output needs augmenting to provide a head-phone signal.
Cockpit output, whether audio or a light flashing is not obvious enough. While
you are at it, build a small mixer board with several monostables, providing
different coded audio signals mixed into the pilot headset, for other warnings
you might find useful. However with too many of these  you may waste valuable
time remembering which is which. Ambiguity is removed if you generate voice
messages but this means a lot more hardware or an onboard computer.

I don't follow the "gear not locked down" thread.  The design is an overcenter
system and AFAIK can't go up if the lever is fully back in the gate (assuming
it has been correctly set up).  So if the switch is placed to detect the
_sideways_ movement as the lever springs into the gate, it's locked. End of
problem.

Graham C  G-EMIN