Strobe connections - electric or glass fibres

Subject: Strobe connections - electric or glass fibres
From: Gowing JR <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:11:20
'Day All

reference Eric Tauch's remarks ---
>" I was wondering about strobes and landing lights too.  If you put them in
> the wings, you will have
> to make some sort of electrical connection at rigging.  I was thinking
> that the monowheel assembly would be the
> ideal place for a landing light.   Maybe not enough clearance under
> there???  More prone to damage in landings?
> Anyway, it would avoid wiring power to the wings and maybe less drag under
> there behind the cowl."

Glass fibres are used in fail safe situations like road line markings
where a group of bulbs may be used in one place (so that failure of one
will not affect the light source much) and the light transfered to
various places on the road surface through bundled glass fibres.

Has anyone thought of using such a system for strobe lights? Say two
sources or one source with two bulbs and glass delivery to wingtips and
rear fuselage or fin delivery points?

Bob Gowing, presently non builder of kit 327