Re: SP Resin Batch ID's - What do the numbers

Subject: Re: SP Resin Batch ID's - What do the numbers
From: Gowing JR <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:09:34
          represent?

> >G'Day or simply 'Day
> >
> >I imagine I am in the same position as many would be builders. I have
> >completed my test piece OK but have to put Europa activities on hold
> >while I put the house in order first. I remember some discussion of
> >shelf life or epoxy materials (being good until they begin to get lumpy I
> >think). Being concerned about avoiding this state I began putting the SP
> >resin and hardeners in an insulated box to keep temperature even
> >(presently from abt 9 degrees C to sometimes 40 degrees C in my work
> >shed. right now at 11.30am Eastern Summer Time it is 35) and looked at
> >the batch numbering to set them in first made first used order.
> >
> >It seemed to me natural to think the first of the two numbers on the
> >containers was a consecutive batch number and the second which follows
> >the slash the year and month. As an example from my complete airframe
> >epoxy supply, I have a container of resin and two containers of hardners
> >as follows:
> >
> >a container of resin 23"1"680/9607, and
> >Std hardener         23"2"102/9701
> >Slow hardener        23"3"142/9607.
> >
> >So the numbering assumption on std hardener destroyed my assumption.
> >
> >Since the answer to this question should be of interest to many Europa
> >non-builders like me, does anyone already know the answer please?
> >
> >Bob Gowing ( presently non builder of kit No 327)
> >

> >Europa wrote:
>
> Your assumption is correct. The second set of four numbers on the resin and
> hardener is the year and month. SP Systems have now revised the lives on
> both resin and hardener to be 2 years PROVIDED that they have not been opened.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Regards    Andy
> >
> >Thank you all who contributed to this discussion -
resin used in UK kits is "SP" made by Structural Polymer Systems Ltd
        Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz> got the lives of both resin
and hardener correct at 2 years
      Duncan MacFadyean <Halcrow_MRO@compuserve.com> added the bit about
unopened containers will last the 2 years and you can test them by the
squeeze and listen for the air leaks method.

I did the checking today with the result that the 2 containers that
leaked resin also leaked air! Europa has already provided free of cost,
replacements for the 2 leaky containers of resin. All the rest stood the
squeeze test and are now resting an even temperature environment - a
cardboard box lined with reflective insulating foil backed with glass
wool.

I will have to make some progress on the Europa (fin and elevators?) when
my eldest grandsons arrive from the States for a visit in about June but
thanks to you all I can rest assured that the remainder of the resin and
hardeners will last long enough for me to use them.

Sincerely
JR(Bob) Gowing, Kit 327