Fuel Monitoring

Subject: Fuel Monitoring
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:17:18

  In a message dated 16 March 1998,nigel_graham@mentorg.com wrote :

<the cost was 255,
<and
<delivery was 3 weeks. There are cheaper systems on the market, but as the
<saying goes "if you pay peanuts...you get monkeys"

pay peanuts...you get monkeys - Not necessarily  the level indicator sold
by LTS is only 99 + VAT. The sender has been designed to suit the Europa.
I am told Variations in fuel type have almost no effect on indicated level.
The sender weighs approximately 250 gms, the VDO gauge 100 gms and the
system draws only 70 mamps. Shortcomings there are in that the gauge only
has 9 readings however if the error on the Avelec gauge can be 11% then its
no better. You can even connect the sender to an EIS (Engine Information
System) thus saving a further 100 gms, saving more panel space and adding a
low fuel level alarm to your flight systems.

Installation is very simple, it can be mounted next to the 'head rest on
either side (there is sufficient room), two wires run up to a simple
analogue gauge. The head of the sender is very low profile and screws into
the flange with a simple 'O' ring seal, making it readily removable for
tank inspection and cleaning.

The system is damped so the readings should be steady, although they will
drop in small steps due to the switching system. But I do not see this as a
problem, especially as the readings will be slightly less than the
contents,- a built in safety factor!

I'll be doing a full test on my new gauge soon and I'll post the results
together with my comments.

Jim