Re: Mechanical fuel gauges

Subject: Re: Mechanical fuel gauges
From: Gramin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:04:52
In a message dated 23/02/98  13:36:02,  ben_g@sol.co.uk writes:

<< FWIW the Bentley owners I know think the system rates between not very good
 and bloody awful >>

That's very interesting - I spent some time trying to verify the ASI system
against a manometer arrangement and came to the same conclusion - the
manometer was a real problem.

I must say I hadn't thought of the air going back into the fuel as a
difficulty - had assumed that the fuel had been around long enough since
refining to have taken up all it could.  I have had the system standing around
at a fixed level for a week or two and it didn't  need topping once it was
made really leak free, but I was have been using a test column with limited
volume.  Temperature changes might make is more thirsty for air too, but it
would be easy enough in the Europa case  to unscrew the fiiting and lift the
pipe up from the tank during the pre-flight.

Graham C  G-EMIN