BMW-Where are you?

Subject: BMW-Where are you?
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:50:02
To all of you hopeful BMW fans I have these comments and questions of
Europa:
First, There are many of us out here in hinterland who want to use the
BMW as our power source for very good reasons.  The price is a very very
important issue.  The unit is very available and seems to have
reliability that matches the aircraft engines available.  It is fuel
injected.  That means it has only one control--- the throttle.  No carb
heat, no carb ice ect. simplicity means less to go wrong.  The engine
seems to be very temperature tolerant per Europa's testing so far.   The
ability to have from a conservative 90 HP on garbage gasoline to an easy
110-120 HP with decent octane and having the racing guys reprogram the
chip for power rather than emissions presents us with an option that is
almost unbeatable.
        The option of the BMW engine / Europa gearbox also presents the
rest of the Community of home built aircraft with an option that is as
good for them as it is for us.   "The market is much greater than the
Europa market"  The ability to market this to outside our group makes it
a very "Profitable" item.  I for one as a business owner and in business
to make money.   I'm driven by my customers needs.  If there is a market
for the item and profit of reasonable levels is attainable, then I will
pursue it.   This is a "HINT"...... Most of the preliminary work is done
for you PFA rule driven guys.  If you need an Aircraft to finish the
testing I have a good suggestion.  I know of at least one Europa in the
States which was set up to run a NSI Subaru engine and they could not
make it work.  The owner I'm sure would allow Corporate to use it.  This
would be only if Corporate would make it worth his while.  I'm sure that
a Free gearbox upon final testing would be significant inducement and
maybe a deal on a new engine to go along with it.   I personally would do
this (as I am under a budget as most of us are) but I'm just finishing my
flying surfaces and will not be ready for the engine until around May
June  or July. I'll donate mine it if you want.   There needs to be a
higher priority placed with those of us who cannot afford the Rotax power
plant.  By the way, rumor has it that Jabiru is ready to test their 120
HP six cyl. engine and is looking for an airframe over here to do it.   I
would rather spend my money with Europa than someone else.
        I realize that Corporate has great plans for future items as the
glider wings and a certified aircraft for others.  However, lets not
forget the base of Europa builders who want to fly and have chosen an
excellent product to do so.   The capabilities of our  airframe to the
"other" builders is .... how do you say,  out of sight.   Where can you
get an aircraft that can fly slow, fast, open cockpit, motor glider,
tri-gear, monowheel, conventional gear, trailerable to the home garage
for best protection, on and on........  We have the BEST design going and
I'm very happy to have chosen the Europa.   Ivan can be proud of his
creation as we all can.  If you would please get back to finishing your
base, the  rest of us are ready to put our hard earned money where it
counts.  I know Sun-N-Fun is a heart beat away and it would be great to
show the system and be able to say it is in the air right now for final
testing.  I cannot emphasize the people who follow just the power plant
side of home built.  You can see by the excellent interest shown to
anyone who has a successful system.   The 90 Hp to 120 HP  market is
vast.   Enough of my soap box on the issue but I have to let the folks at
home know how important this is to us out here.  My check is ready, is
Europa???

                                                        Europajim@juno.com
                                                        A058    St.
Petersburg, Florida