Europa List - please use your REPLY-TO ALL button to reply to

Subject: Europa List - please use your REPLY-TO ALL button to reply to
From: Moira Millar <moira@aviators.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:53:36
  the list from now on.

Dear Europa members,

---From now on, please use your REPLY-TO ALL button, when replying to the list:

----------------------------
We have been under increasing attack from spam (junk-mail) and mail loops on
some of our mail lists - resulting in each member having to download large
quantities of unwanted mail.  Whilst the Europa list has (fortunately) not
suffered from a mail loop yet, it has suffered from spam.  There is a change
we have made in the set-up, which will mean that when you choose in your
mail list software to Reply, then the address that will be inserted is the
address of the sender rather than the address of the list.  We have also
changed the configuration of the list so that you must be a subscriber to
post messages to the list, which may  help discourage spam.

For those of you who wish to understand the technicalities, here is an
extract from the Majordomo software we use:

   Whether you should have a "Reply-To:" or not depends on the charter of
   your list and the nature of its users. If the list is a discussion
   list and you generally want replies to go back to the list, you can
   include one. Some people don't like being told what to do, and prefer
   to be able to choose whether to send a private reply or a reply to the
   list just by using the right function on their mail agent. Take note
   that if you do use a "Reply-To:", then some mail agents make it much
   harder for a person on the list to send a private reply. The most
   mail loops if any of the members of your list are running
   fairly-common but broken software which doesn't know what an envelope
   address is. (Many Microsoft products, as well as many other PC-based
   non-SMTP/Internet mail systems which work through an SMTP gateway.)

   You should read the following FAQ on why you shouldn't set the

I also recommend reading the web page above.

If you are interested in helping fight spam, I recommend reading
http://spam.abuse.net/

If you want to reply to the list amost every mail program  has a command or
button that does Reply-To-All or the equivalent.  One of the benefits of
course, is that you can now more easily choose to send a private reply.  If
you do not have a Reply-To-All button or equivalent, you may either edit the

I realise that the list is for discussion and it may be that some
subscribers will feel upset and outraged by this decision.  Those of you who
also belong to the Flyer list will have noticed many differing reactions to
a similar change we made with that list.  However our prime concern is to
protect essential commercial systems from damage or deterioration, and this
is a necessary precaution.

---From now on, please use your REPLY-TO ALL button, when replying to the list:

Regards

System Adminstrator

Moira Millar                                Tel: 01727 868468
Aviators Network                                Fax: 01727 768442
PO Box 361                               http://www.aviators.net
St Albans, AL2 3YP                                         info@aviators.net