Re: Reserve tanks

Subject: Re: Reserve tanks
From: Europa <Enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:21:25
><< provided the both ends of the tube are kept below fuel the siphon will
>continue. >>
>
>It will up to a point but a lot depends on the impedance of the flow path. I
>have done some measurements on the standard tubing and find that
siphoning at
>.5 litre per min needs a head difference of  6 " , and proportionately
less as
>the head difference decreases. i.e. you will reach the flow rate required by
>the engine (at least 0.2 ltr/min) when the levels still differ by 2.4".
When
>that happens  the main tank level will continue downwards and you will be
>sucking from an empty main with 2.4 " left in the reserve. Don't know what
the
>section of the XS reserve tank is, but it sounds like of lot of precious
fuel.
>A big siphoning pipe would solve this but that would be difficult to start.
>If you have any diagrams of the XS system it would help me a lot.
>
>Graham  G-EMIN

Thanks for the input Graham. We don't have any diagrams to hand but 2.4" of
fuel in the auxiliary tank corresponds to only 2.5 litres. The aux tank
will feed into the reserve side of the tank so you will be looking for
somewhere to land by this time anyway. If you were really desperate for
that 2.5 litres, you could always undo the fixings holding the tank in
place and lift it!

Regards   Andy