Roll Control Stiffness

Subject: Roll Control Stiffness
From: Jonathan F. Moyle <Flyingman@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:34:58
Tony wrote: <I can't imagine you happily dismantling the front bearing once
all the
metalwork is reduxed and rivetted in place around the Tufnol!!>

I also experienced excessive stiffness in the front tufnol bearing after
installation in the cockpit module. Somehow I must have introduced some
skew in the bearing as no matter what position the tufnol bearing was fixed
in I could only achieve free movement over a limited range. Trying to
increase clearance by bending the bush flange only made matters worse.
Fearing a complete rebuild of the aileron torque tube would be necesssary I
phoned the factory where Roger suggested just removing the offending pieces
by drilling out the rivets and using a heat gun to loosen the redux bond.
You need to apply plenty of leverage with the heat but it worked fine. To
remove the damaged bush I carefully sawed through it along its length
stopping just short of the tube. More heat and a screwdriver to complete
the split left the tube without a mark.  After the new bush and bearing
arrive I will reassemble with a bit more clearance.