VP Prop

Subject: VP Prop
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 20:27:09
>> Graham I understand you are running a Arplast prop on a Europa, and
would like to get your opinions about it's
performance.<<

Hi Jim, yes I certainly am. I'v e done around 100 hours on it now. It was
an early (very) one and not quite up to production standard but has been
reliable and effective. It doesn't look quite as trendy as the NSI one but
I've had excellent service from the factory and the UK dealer, Jerry Davis,
(Lindhurst Touchdown.) He does hang around these parts occasionally !?:-)

We regularly see a 125 kt cruise at 5'200 rpm warm weather and 3 or 4,000
ft. If prop balance is poor due to a wobbly spinner or whatever, this can
knock a few knots off. (It kills the laminar flow over Don's wing.) The
Arplast blades can be accurately balanced, ie within 0,1% of equal moments.
provided you can measure that. Best is electronic dynamic balancing with
the engine running.

Take off initial acceleration is much better and early rate of climb also
because revs can be set higher than with fixed pitch. Normal climb is
slightly better but since it depends on power over weight you cannot expect
a big increase unless your fixed pitch is set for fast cruise.

Small chips due to stone damage can be repaired relatively easily, an
advantage over blades with metal leading edges. We have had no rain erosion
whatever. The blades are made with glass (S glass, I suspect) tension
laminates and carbon torsion laminates. They are not as rigid as solid
carbon blades and subjectively seem much less harsh.

There are quite a few Arplast PV 50 props in use in France, many on MCR01s,
cruising in the 180 mph range. AFAIK without problems.
Unless I could afford an MT , I don't think I would buy any other VP prop.

Graham