FAQ v1

Subject: FAQ v1
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:04:58
This is the FAQ for the Europa e-mail list. It relates to the Europa kit
aeroplane, designed by Ivan Shaw (with a little help from Don Dykins).

=46AQ maintained at present by Rowland Carson <rowil@gn.apc.org>
(Any Europa enthusiast may apply to take over the job at any time.)

This is Europa FAQ version 1, published 9-i-1998.

Questions answered are:

  0 How do I get a copy of this FAQ?
  1 I have a suggestion for the FAQ - how can I get it included?
  2 How do I join the Europa e-mail list?
  3 How do I get off the Europa e-mail list?
  4 How do I join the Europa Club?
  5 Factory newsletter, Europa Flyer, e-mail list - I'm confused!
  6 Are there any other organisations for people building aeroplanes?
  7 I haven't got a pilot's licence - can I train for it in my Europa?
  8 Can I fly a Europa on a microlight/ultralight license?
  9 Can I buy a ready-made Europa?
 10 How long will it take me to build a Europa?
 11 How much will it really cost to build a Europa?
 12 What are the dimensions of the Europa on its trailer?
 13 Do I have to use the Europa factory-supplied open trailer?
 14 What tools will I need to build a Europa and what will they cost?
 15 Do I need special skills?
 16 How will I know I've built it right?
 17 Everyone says "build light" - how do I do that?
 18 How do I get a C of A or Permit to Fly the completed Europa?
 19 What engines are available for the Europa?
 20 Where can I get more info about home-built aircraft generally?

  0 How do I get a copy of this FAQ?
------------------------------------

This FAQ is posted once a month to the Europa e-mail list (starting January
1998).

subject line "FAQ".

  1 I have a suggestion for the FAQ - how can I get it included?

New items, and correction or enhancement of existing items are welcome.
Send your suggestion in e-mail to the FAQ maintainer (see above).
Submissions most likely to be incorporated will have similar formatting to
the existing FAQ, and display accuracy in spelling, grammar, and syntax.
The ultimate deciding factor, however, will be the quality and relevancy of
the information. The maintainer reserves the right to edit for brevity,
clarity or humour.

  2 How do I join the Europa e-mail list?

You can subscribe automatically by sending an e-mail message to
<europa-request@avnet.co.uk>. The subject is not important but the body of
the message should include the following command:

     subscribe europa

You will then receive all future contributions to the list.

  3 How do I get off the Europa e-mail list?
server which runs the Europa e-mail list must be addressed to the server,
NOT the list address where the discussion goes on. Doing that will make you
look careless, forgetful, or incapable of following simple instructions
(and you need to follow a lot of instructions to build an aeroplane).

  4 How do I join the Europa Club?
----------------------------------

Contact the Membership Secretary for full information. At present the
Membership Secretary is:

Rowland Carson
4 Saville Close
CHELTENHAM
Gloucestershire
England
GL50  4NE

  5 Factory newsletter, Europa Flyer, e-mail list - I'm confused!

The Europa factory puts out a newsletter from time to time, a subscription
to which is mandatory for all builders. Those not yet building can also
subscribe, but will not receive the inserts with details of modifications,
etc, which go only to builders. Subscriptions are paid to "Europa Aviation"
at the office in either Yorkshire, England or Florida, USA depending on
your own location.

The Europa Club puts out a newsletter (The Europa Flyer) four times a year
(Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec) to all paid-up Europa Club members. Subscriptions are
paid to "Europa Club". The Club and its newsletter is not connected with
the Europa factory or its newsletter.

The Europa e-mail list on the internet is open to anyone to join. There is
no charge. Like most things on the internet, it is not controlled by
anyone. Neither Europa Aviation nor the Europa Club have any power over
what goes on there, although representatives from both take part from time
to time. It's simply a forum for discussion among Europa enthusiasts. Many
of the useful nuggets of information appearing there are reproduced in the
Europa Club newsletter. The list was set up by and is still maintained by,
a Europa Club member, in the time left over from bringing up a family,
earning a living, and building a Europa.

Both the Europa Club and Europa Aviation have World Wide Web sites, and
they are linked together. The Club pages provide access to the archives of
the Europa e-mail list, and some past copies of the FACTORY newsletter, but
NOT the CLUB newsletter.

  6 Are there any other organisations for people building aeroplanes?

Many countries have a homebuilt aircraft organisation, and you can get help
and advice by joining. In UK, it's the Popular Flying Organisation (PFA)
with local Struts. In USA, it's the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
with local Chapters. In France, it's RSA.

  7 I haven't got a pilot's licence - can I train for it in my Europa?

This is probably a bad idea. The aviation administrations in some countries
will not permit it, anyway. But consider the possibility that you spend
several years toiling to build the aeroplane, then find that:

   you have some subtle medical condition that prevents issue of a
   flight medical

   you spent so much on building the plane you have no funds left to pay
   for training

   you don't really like flying in a small plane

   you just don't seem to have an aptitude for controlling a plane

OK, you can still probably sell it for more than the parts cost, but maybe
you might have chosen to use your time differently had you known in advance.

  8 Can I fly a Europa on a microlight/ultralight license?

No. The Europa requires an ordinary private pilot's license. It is too big,
fast, and heavy to be classed as an ultralight or microlight. The rules
defining microlights are slightly different in different countries, but the
Europa would not meet any of them. As far as formal pilot qualifications
are concerned, it's in the same category as a Cessna 150. However, since
(in its most popular configuration) it is a monowheel taildragger, your
flight safety will be greatly enhanced by having some prior taildragger
experience, and even more by getting some training on the Europa itself
---From a pilot experienced on type before you launch solo.

  9 Can I buy a ready-made Europa?
----------------------------------

The only way you can do that at present is to find someone who's built one
and is willing to part with it. It is also possible that someone who has
developed an epoxy allergy through careless handling and cannot complete
the project may wish to sell a part-finished kit.

Ads for such Europas have appeared in the classified sections of general
pilot-interest magazines (eg "Pilot" & "Flyer" in UK), and in the magazines
of the homebuilder organisations (eg PFA's "Popular Flying" & EAA's "Sport
Aviaton"). You can also find them in a Europa-specific forum such as the
Europa Club's "Europa Flyer" or the Europa internet e-mail list.

 10 How long will it take me to build a Europa?