Re: Tail Wheel & Cowlings

Subject: Re: Tail Wheel & Cowlings
From: Europa <Enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:55:48
At 09:04 AM 12/18/97 +0930, you wrote:

>I have made the plywood mock-up of John Moran's tail wheel steering
>and rudder arm.
>I am unable to get the stop drive to function. If stops on rudder arm
>push tailwheel arm to original stops, rudder arm cannot then reach
>the original stops. If stops not fitted, springs will have to do
>this.
>Have been looking with interest at photo's of various Europa's in
>service and noting the variations of cowling with holes at all
>positions. I suppose to achieve satisfactory cooling. I wish Europa
>company would give feedback on what's working.

The addition of extra cowling vents, spacing the bottom of the cowling away
---From the fuselage and variations on the theme does little or nothing to
improve engine cooling as far as our experience is concerned. Our
experimentation has noted by some Europa builders, when we were trying to
improve cooling on the Rotax 912 installation and then others started their
own experiments independently. What the results are, I don't know.
What we found did work was to dilute the glycol/water mix to between 60/40
and 50/50. This is all covered in the engine installation manual but is
barely mentioned in the Rotax manual.

Regards   Andy